Partner | Employment
T: (0)20 8349 5480
E: [email protected]
With over 20 year’s experience working as an employment lawyer, advising both employers and employees across a hugely diverse range of industries. I have a particular interest in education, healthcare and the voluntary sector and also regularly advise legal firms on employment issues where those firms do not have their own employment department.
My clients range from small to medium-sized companies to senior or junior employees; law firms to individual lawyers; medical and dental practices to individual doctors and nurses; and schools to teachers.
Advising on All Aspects of Employment
I advise on all aspects of employment law and regularly deal with drafting employment contracts (including service agreements), disciplinary and grievance issues, redundancy, employment tribunal litigation, discrimination, restrictive covenants, and settlement agreements. As well as providing solutions, I advise on how to prevent problems arising in the first place.
The close relationships I build with my clients are key to securing the most suitable solution for them and making the process as smooth as possible. Clients regularly comment on my practical, common sense approach and, when negotiating, my perseverance in delivering favourable results.
I have a genuine desire to provide the best solution for my clients’ needs and always take a hands-on approach, providing whatever support is required.
I am a regular speaker on employment issues and host a variety of informative seminars throughout the year.
I qualified as a solicitor in 1979 and specialised in corporate law at a major City law firm. When my children were small, I took a career break and worked as a volunteer at the Citizens Advice Bureau where I developed a successful employment law niche, acting on behalf of employees.
This diverse background has given me a unique understanding of both employers and employees and is the basis of my reputation for giving sound practical advice and being a good negotiator.
I joined Osmond Gaunt & Rose (now part of OGR Stock Denton) as an employment solicitor in 1999 and was made a Partner in 2005.
- Advising a senior employee in respect of the termination of his employment under a settlement agreement and obtaining, through negotiation, a compensation sum more than three times the amount originally offered by his employer.
- Acting for a respondent medical practice in a claim against it by a former employee for constructive unfair dismissal and disability discrimination. The employee took her claim all the way to a full hearing but at the tribunal agreed to accept a nominal financial settlement. My client’s legal expenses insurer was so pleased with the proposed settlement value that it agreed to pay it on the client’s behalf.
- Acting for a respondent hotel in a claim by a former employee for unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal, unauthorised deductions from wages arising from non-payment of the National Minimum Wage and breach of the Working Time Regulations. The employment Judge found in favour of my client on every count and the claimant’s case was dismissed.
- Acting for a respondent children’s residential care home in a claim brought by the former house manager for constructive unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal, automatic unfair dismissal by reason of a public interest disclosure and unauthorised deductions from wages. Following a Case Management Discussion at which the claimant was ordered, at my request, to provide additional information, the claimant withdrew his claim in its entirety.
- Helping secure a six figure sum for a disabled employee claiming disability discrimination and constructive unfair dismissal.
- Acting for an employer in a race discrimination claim, in which a £1,200 settlement was agreed.
Employment Lawyers’ Association
Outside work, I enjoy spending time with my family and every now and then, holidaying in far-flung places. To keep fit, I love yoga and dance and walking on Hampstead Heath with our dog, Daisy.
I write the firm’s Employment newsletter and have had articles published in various in-house journals, including an online publication for GP practices.
Have Susan Bernstein Call You Back Today
"*" indicates required fields
I just want to say a massive thank you once again for all your assistance in helping me win my case against FirstGroup. All your hard work has been greatly appreciated by myself. I have organised something in the post which should be with you by the end of the week as a token of my thanks."
From the moment we spoke I felt calmer, understood and supported. I can’t over emphasise the importance of knowing you were in my corner and I didn’t have to face my employer alone.
Thank you for your help…I appreciate now much more than ever before the reason behind your persistence…If we had not followed your advice all along the outcome of this case would not have been as favourable
Your advice was sensible and without fault and I found you very easy to work with.
I really appreciate the care you took in explaining everything and the support you gave me.
Thanks for all your help, advice and support …I had real confidence in you
Tesco wins appeal over right to “fire and re-hire” employees
Supermarket chain Tesco has successfully appealed an injunction that prevented [...]
Consultant wins discrimination claim after transgender tweets
A tax specialist who was dismissed from her job after [...]
New law will allow agency staff to replace striking workers
The government is changing the law to enable businesses to [...]
Asda employee awarded £40,000 for injury to feelings
An Asda employee who was constructively dismissed and racially harassed [...]
Survey shows online sexual harassment increased during coronavirus lockdowns
Few people would argue that the Internet has shaped and [...]